Capcom Says Sales and Financial Information Stolen in Major Hack

Capcom has provided an update on the ransomware attack it suffered earlier this month, saying that sales and financial information has been compromised, and that 350,000 pieces of personal information may also have been stolen. Rumours have begun to spread about information for unannounced games being included in the stolen data.

In an update on its investors website, the company says that an investigation is ongoing, but explained that, as of November 16, it could confirm that sales reports, financial information, and nine employees’ personal information had been compromised.

Less certain is personal information for customers and business partners, as logs appear to have been lost during the attack. Capcom says up to 350,000 records for addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, birthdates and more may have been compromised, but explained that none of the potentially stolen data includes credit card information. You can see the full list of compromised and potentially compromised data at the bottom of this story.

Capcom says it’s begin contacting anyone whose personal information has been confirmed as compromised, and says anyone who wants to inquire about their own information should contact their region’s Capcom customer support service.

[widget path=”global/article/imagegallery” parameters=”albumSlug=every-ign-resident-evil-game-review-ever&captions=true”]

The statement comes amid new rumours about the contents of that hack. Stemming from a now-locked 4Chan post, some claiming access to the stolen files have said that, among sales and financial data, the hack includes details of titles scheduled for the coming fiscal year, including PC ports for the upcoming Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2, an Oculus VR version of Resident Evil 4, unannounced games with codenames, and more. IGN has not been able to verify any of these rumours as of yet.

We’ve contacted Capcom for comment on both the hack itself, and the rumours, but received no reply at time of writing.

Capcom’s full list of compromised and potentiall compromised data follows:

1. Information verified to have been compromised

i. Personal information: 9 items

Personal information of former employees: 5 items
(Name & signature: 2 items; name & address: 1 item; passport information: 2 items)
Personal information of employees: 4 items
(Name and HR information: 3 items; name & signature: 1 item)
ii. Other information

Sales reports
Financial information

2. Potentially compromised data

i. Personal information (customers, business partners, etc.): maximum of approx. 350,000 items

Japan: Customer service video game support help desk information (approx.134,000 items)
Names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses
North America: Capcom Store member information (approx. 14,000 items)
Names, birthdates, email addresses
North America: Esports operations website members (approx. 4,000 items)
Names, email addresses, gender information
List of shareholders (approx. 40,000 items)
Names, addresses, shareholder numbers, amount of shareholdings
Former employees’ (including family) information (approx. 28,000 people);
applicants’ information (approx. 125,000 people)
Names, birthdates, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, photos, etc.

ii. Personal information (employees and related parties)

Human resources information (approx. 14,000 people)

iii. Confidential corporate information

Sales data, business partner information, sales documents, development documents, etc.

None of the at-risk data contains credit card information. All online transactions etc. are handled by a third-party service provider, and as such Capcom does not maintain any such information internally.

Because the overall number of potentially compromised data cannot specifically be ascertained due to issues including some logs having been lost as a result of the attack, Capcom has listed the maximum number of items it has determined to potentially have been affected at the present time.

[poilib element=”accentDivider”]

Joe Skrebels is IGN’s Executive Editor of News. Follow him on Twitter. Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Wonder Woman 1984’s December Release Is Up In The Air

After a number of delays, Wonder Woman 1984 finally settled on a December 25, 2020 release date that many assumed would be final. However, amidst a wave of COVID-19 spikes across the country, sources cited in a Variety report claim the new Wonder Woman film release will go one of two ways.

The first option will see WW84 continuing with its December 25 theatrical release date as planned, but also releasing on HBO Max shortly after in early January. The second, more conservative option would see the movie delayed again into summer 2021.

Warner Bros. may very well decide to push the release after its last big theatrical release, Tenet, performed worse than expected in the domestic market. Tenet’s performance has had repercussions on the rest of the industry, with other big name films pushing dates to avoid making the same mistake.

An early release combined with an HBO Max launch may be a smart decision for WarnerMedia, whose fledgling streaming service isn’t quite competing with the likes of Disney Plus or Netflix yet. After Disney saw its share price go up due to reaching 73 million subscribers on Disney Plus–despite also reporting a $710 million loss–it’s possible WarnerMedia may be looking more seriously towards a streaming-centered release.

Pushing the film’s release date back over six months to June or July in 2021 is the safer option, of course, especially with news that a viable vaccine could be on the cards for early 2021. A WarnerMedia spokesperson contacted by Variety declined to comment on either of the purported options, but did confirm that WW84 would be shown in theaters no matter what.

Now Playing: Wonder Woman 1984 New Trailer Breakdown – 12 Things To Know

Xbox Will “Absolutely” Buy More Studios

While Microsoft has been slowly acquiring game studios for some time now, its record-breaking $7.5 billion acquisition of Bethesda parent company ZeniMax showed just how serious Microsoft’s first-party development ambitions are. In an appearance on Twitch’s Glitchcon opening address, Xbox head Phil Spencer touched on the Bethesda acquisition, but also confirmed it’ll be adding more studios to its roster in future.

Spencer clarified first that, while the Bethesda acquisition is in motion, it hasn’t yet been finalized and most likely won’t be until early 2021 due to regulatory processes. “Coming together now and having them become part of Xbox I think will just be an amazing opportunity with the great games that they’ll continue to build,” Spencer said. “The great thing is, those games will become part of Game Pass on the day that they launch, which I think creates more opportunity for people to go play.”

“In terms of continuing to invest in new studios and new games and new content, absolutely we have to do that,” Spencer confirmed. “It’s important that we continue to build out the library of games that are available on Xbox. We’ll double the size of our studios organization when we add Bethesda, and we’re going to continue to invest in great games so that people can find their next favorite game on our platform.”

Spencer’s comments go to show that Microsoft’s gaming ambitions go well beyond the Xbox as simply a piece of hardware, and that the company is also looking to consolidate a software empire with Xbox Game Pass as its backbone. Spencer has previously commented on the Bethesda acquisition, saying that the point is not to make all its games console exclusive, or force anyone to buy Microsoft’s hardware.

In the video, Spencer also apologized for the Xbox Series X/S shortages, addressing Xbox fans’ frustrations with the console’s limited availability.

Now Playing: Xbox Series S Video Review

Black Panther 2 Won’t Have A Digitally Recreated Chadwick Boseman, Producer Promises

In August 2020, actor Chadwick Boseman tragically passed away at the age of 43. The actor, who was best known for playing the Black Panther T’Challa in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, was due to feature in the upcoming sequel. Now, one of the film’s producers has promised that they won’t go down the path of a CGI recreation–Boseman will not feature in the movie.

In an interview with Argentine newspaper Clarín, reported on in English by Deadline, executive producer Victoria Alonso stated that Marvel Studios would not be using any sort of technology to recreate Boseman within the film. “There’s only one Chadwick, and he’s no longer with us,” Alonso says. “Sadly, our king has died in real life, not only in fiction, and we’re taking a little time to see how we continue the story and how to honor this chapter of what has unexpectedly happened to us, so painful and terrible to be honest.”

Alonso continued, praising the actor on a personal level. “Chadwick wasn’t only a wonderful human being, every day of the 5 years we spent together, but also, I believe, that what he did as a character elevated us as a company, and has left his moment on history.”

The first Black Panther earned over $1.3 billion at the international box office. It’s the fourth highest grossing film ever at the US box office.

CGI recreation has been used in other films to bring actors back, but rarely under circumstances like this. Furious 7, the seventh movie in the Fast & Furious franchise, used body doubles and CGI to bring back Brian O’Conner after the death of Paul Walker, but this was after the actor had already filmed several scenes in the movie, and the ending was re-written to send the character off. Star Wars has used digital recreation of actors like Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing, with varying levels of fidelity and grace, in recent films.

Black Panther 2 is currently scheduled to film in 2021 and release on May 26, 2022, although that date is likely to be pushed back. Ryan Coogler, the director and writer of the first film, is attached to return.

Now Playing: Chadwick Boseman’s Best MCU Moments

Best-Selling Games And Consoles Of October 2020 Revealed, And No. 1 Game Is A Surprise (US)

The NPD Group has published its latest monthly sales report, revealing which games and consoles sold the best in the United States during October 2020.

Starting with games, FIFA 21 was the top-seller of the month. This is a big event, as it marked the first time in NPD’s history that a FIFA game was No. 1 in the US in October. Last year, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was October’s best-seller due to its earlier-than-usual release date.

Madden NFL 21, Watch Dogs: Legion, NHL 21, and Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit rounded out the top five best-selling games in the US during October 2020.

Watch Dogs: Legion might have finished higher if not for the fact that it launched with just three days to go during the October tracking period. Another notable fact is that NHL 21’s launch-month dollar sales were the best for the NHL series since 2015’s NHL 16.

Also of note is that Nintendo dominated again, with nine of the top 20 games of the month having been published by Nintendo.

Moving to hardware, the Nintendo Switch was yet again the top-seller during October 2019. Its dollar sales during the month set a new October hardware sales record for the US, surpassing the previous record from the Nintendo Wii in October 2008.

The Switch is dominating, as it’s now been the best-selling console in the US for 23 straight months.

Hardware spending overall in October 2020 reached $259 million, which is up 41 percent thanks to growth in the Nintendo Switch. The Xbox One and PS4 experienced declines, which was expected given the age of those consoles and the arrival of next-gen platforms.

Across games, consoles, and accessories, total spending on video games in the US amounted to $3.8 billion for October 2020, which is up 14 percent.

October 2020 US Video Game Sales

*Digital sales not included

  1. FIFA 21
  2. Madden NFL 21
  3. Watch Dogs: Legion
  4. NHL 21
  5. Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
  6. Super Mario 3D All-Stars*
  7. Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
  8. Star Wars: Squadrons
  9. Call of Duty: ModernWarfare
  10. Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time
  11. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe*
  12. Ghost of Tsushima
  13. NBA 2K21*
  14. Marvel’s Avengers
  15. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  16. Ring Fit Adventure
  17. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  18. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2
  19. Super Mario Party*
  20. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe*

Moving Out, One Of 2020’s Best Co-Op Games, Will Get New Content Next Year

Co-op furniture removalist game Moving Out launched earlier this year, and made an impression despite the unfortunate timing of releasing a four-player couch co-op game during a pandemic when fewer people were gathering with friends. The game seems to have been a success, taking Game of the Year at the Australian Game Developer Awards, and now more content is on the way.

In an update on the game’s Twitter account, developer SMG Studios announced that more content is in the works, but they’re not ready to show it just yet. “All will be revealed in early 2021,” the update says. “We’ll post as much as we can without spoiling the surprise.”

The game has received some free extra content since launch, but this sounds like something bigger. It’s not yet clear whether this will be paid DLC.

As the tweet says, the game is playable on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S through backwards compatibility. It launched on Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

You can try Moving Out through Xbox Game Pass, and it’s definitely worth a play if you have one or more other players. Also check out GameSpot’s interview with developer SMG Studio about the game and the importance of inclusivity in design.

Now Playing: Moving Out Gameplay – Overcooked But For Moving Furniture

GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.

Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Double XP Event Extended For Another 24 Hours

Activision marked the launch of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War with a double XP promo to help people level up faster right out of the gate. The double XP event was supposed to end on Monday, November 16, but developer Treyarch has extended it by 24 hours.

The double XP event will now conclude on Tuesday, November 17 at 10 AM PT. This double XP promotion applies to standard multiplayer as well as the Zombies mode, and it’s available on all platforms.

Double XP should help you hit new ranks and unlock more weapons and attachments, so this is a good time to dive in. The game has proven to be very popular already, setting a new first-day digital sales record.

GameSpot’s Black Ops Cold War review in progress has scored the game an 8/10. Keep checking back with GameSpot for our full review and further coverage.

Now Playing: Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War’s Multiple Endings Explained

GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.

Xbox Boss Phil Spencer Apologizes For Xbox Series X/S Shortages

The Xbox Series X and S consoles are finally here, and the launch is going extremely well for Microsoft. Consoles are selling out fast, and Xbox boss Phil Spencer has now spoken about this, apologizing for the shortages.

“We need more consoles [laughs],” Spencer said during an appearance at GlitchCon. “The number one request I get over and over is it’s so hard to get the consoles right now. And I really apologize for that. We’ve been building them for almost two months now and trying to get as many into the stores as we can, but the demand is just so high.”

Spencer went on to say that, with COVID-19 impacting the world as it has, 2020 been a challenging year with all kinds of obstacles for developing games and releasing a new platform. Despite those challenges, Spencer said he is proud of his teams and those at Sony and third-party publishers for releasing new games and consoles this holiday season.

In a post on Xbox Wire, Xbox boss Liz Hamren also acknowledged the shortages, saying Microsoft is “working tirelessly” with its retail partners globally to bring more next-gen Xbox consoles to people soon.

Despite the shortages, Xbox Series X/S launch represented the biggest-ever for Microsoft. The company sold more consoles, in more countries, than ever before over the first 24 hours. For comparison, the Xbox One sold more than 1 million units over its first day in 2013, so the Series X/S consoles did better, but Microsoft did not mention a specific sales number.

The Xbox Series S console specifically was a big hit at launch, as it added the “highest percentage of new players for any Xbox console at launch.” Additionally, Microsoft said 70 percent of Xbox Series X/S consoles are attached to an Xbox Game Pass subscription. That in particular is a very big deal, as Xbox Game Pass might be Microsoft’s secret weapon on next-gen.

The stock shortages for the Xbox Series X/S consoles were expected, as Spencer warned people many weeks ago to expect demand to outstrip supply.

Due in part to the expected shortages, the Nintendo Switch is expected to be the best-selling console platform during holiday 2020 in the US.

Now Playing: Xbox Series X Video Review

PS5 Simulation Is The Perfect Game For Anyone Who Hasn’t Got The New Console Yet

The PlayStation 5 is now available in many regions throughout the world, and many people are jumping into the next generation of Sony consoles. Not everyone is lucky enough to have secured a launch console, though, and may be looking for a glimmer of that magic new-console feel while they play Sackboy and Spider-Man: Miles Morales on their aging PS4s.

That’s where PS5 Simulator, a new free game, comes in. The game, by developer Alex Grade, is a fun little take on the joys of getting a system and needing to unbox and set it up before you can enjoy playing games on it.

PS5 Simulator
PS5 Simulator

“Wait no more, your ultimate PS5 experience is here,” the description on the game’s itch.io page reads. “Poor cable management, snacks on floor and try to not break your next-game console in this non-AAA-game!”

Gallery

The game weighs in at 947MB, and there’s a lot of cable management to deal with in there. It’s pretty tongue-in-cheek, so it might make you feel a bit better about not having a console to set up yet. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War are both pretty great on PS4 too, you know.

If PS5 Simulator isn’t good enough for you, and you want a real console, check out GameSpot’s guide on where to buy a PS5. For more on the system, check out GameSpot’s PlayStation 5 review.