The first full trailer for The Mandalorian is here. The first-ever live-action Star Wars TV show will premiere on Disney+ in November, and the trailer was revealed during the studio’s annual D23 convention.
The trailer contains a lot. It begins with Stormtrooper helmets thrown in the dirt and held up on spikes before transitioning to the titular Mandalorian’s ship flying over both a green landscape and a desert. We see black-armored stormtroopers being led by a character played by Breaking Bad actor Giancarlo Esposito. The Mandalorian ends up killing his targeted mark in a cantina and we see an alien getting frozen in a familiar-looking carbonite prison. You can watch the trailer below. Also, IG-88 is in it!
The release of the trailer follows that of the stylish poster for the show, which was also revealed today. The Mandalorian stars Pedro Pascal in the title role, plus Gina Carano (Deadpool), Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad), Emily Swallow (Supernatural), Carl Weathers (Predator), Omid Abtahi (American Gods), Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man), and Nick Nolte (Affliction).
The showrunner is Lion King director Jon Favreau, and the line-up of directors for individual episodes includes Taika Waititi (Thor Ragnarok), Deborah Chow (Jessica Jones), Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars), and Jurassic World star Bryce Dallas Howard. It premieres on Disney+ on November 12, which is also the launch day for the service.
In related news, it was reported last week that Ewan McGregor is in talks to reprise his role of Obi-Wan Kenobi for another potential Disney+ Star Wars show. There’s also a show centered around the Rogue One character of Cassian Andor in the works for the service. For more on Disney+, check out GameSpot’s guide to everything that will be available on day one.
The rumors were true, Ewan McGregor will reprise his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi on a new Star Wars project. The announcement was made during D23 where McGregor was brought on stage by LucasFilm’s Kathleen Kennedy.
He walked out to the sounds of Duel of the Fates, arguably the most iconic song on the Star Wars prequel soundtracks. There he invited Kennedy to ask him if he’d be playing Kenobi again, and, of course, replied with an emphatic yes.
There were no details on what the Obi-Wan Kenobi project will be, whether its a movie or a TV series; if it will get a theatrical release or be exclusive to Disney+. All we do know is that LucasFilm is “really close” to getting going. The scripts have been written and it will begin shooting next year.
The rumored Obi-Wan Disney+ Series has officially been confirmed, with Ewan McGregor reprising his role from the prequels.
The announcement was made by Lucasfilm President, Kathleen Kennedy at D23 Expo during the Disney+ panel.
“After secrets and fibs and not being able to talk about it, I am thrilled to bring out a beloved member of the Star Wars family…” Kennedy said as Ewan McGregor walked onstage.
“Kathleen, can you ask me in front of all these witnesses, can you please ask me, am I going to play Obi-Wan Kenobi again?” McGregor said, in which Kathleen asked him, “Ewan, are you going to play Obi-Wan?”
In addition to announcing several brand new Marvel shows, the Disney+ panel at D23 also gave us our first look at the upcoming animated series Marvel’s What If… Read on for a breakdown of the footage we saw and what you can expect from this ambitious project.
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige was present at the panel to introduce the footage. Feige said that each episode will focus on a specific MCU movie with exactly one story element changed, exploring how that one change has rippling effects and fundamentally alters the story we know.
Numerous MCU actors will return to voice their characters, with some of the standout names mentioned at the panel including Michael B. Jordan (Killmonger), Sebastian Stan (Bucky), Josh Brolin (Thanos) and Mark Ruffalo (Hulk).
Star War: The Clone Wars, the hit animated Star Wars TV series, is returning for a new season on Disney+. Today, Lucasfilm announced Star Wars: Clone Wars is coming to Disney+ on February 2020.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars ran for seven seasons between 2008 and 2013. Developed by Dave Filoni, The Clone Wars filled in the gaps during the Age of Republic. The series followed a pre-Darth Vader Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and introduced new characters like the popular Ahsoka Tano.
The Clone Wars was canceled in 2013, but last year Disney and Lucasfilm announced a new season was in development for the Disney+ streaming service. Filoni will return for the series and he promised at Comic-Con 2018 that the new season will continue the storylines that were left off when the show ended.
The Muppets are getting an unscripted short-form series on Disney+ called Muppets Now.
None other than Kermit the Frog himself made the announcement at the Disney+ presentation at D23 Expo on Friday.
“The Muppets are creating some incredible new shorts.” Kermit said. “They’re gonna be wild and funny and feature some new friends like…” Which is when Joe from Legal appeared onstage.
Kermit then joked that Joe from Legal says no news about celebrity guests, since this is a teaser. “Seriously, that would make this a sneak peek, and you’re not authorized to offer a peek, sneak or otherwise.”
Kermit and Joe from Legal argued onstage about what Kermit is allowed to say, in order to make this preview a teaser and not a behind-the-scenes look or a featurette.
Disney+ will be home to a new spy series based on Star Wars: Rogue One, featuring two characters from the movie. Diego Luna, who plays Cassian Andor, will be joined once again by Alan Tudyk, who voiced the droid K2SO. The new series was officially confirmed during the Star Wars section of the Disney+ D23 panel.
The show wasn’t given an official name, but it was confirmed that it’s a prequel, indicating it will take place before Rogue One. It is filming in London in 2020. In earlier announcements, Disney has described the show as a “rousing spy thriller” that will “explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire.”
In a statement, Luna said, “Going back to the Star Wars universe is very special for me. I have so many memories of the great work we did together and the relationships I made throughout the journey. We have a fantastic adventure ahead of us, and this new exciting format will give us the chance to explore this character more deeply.”
The Mandalorian is a brand-new TV series that stars Pedro Pascal in the title role, plus Deadpool‘s Gina Carano, Breaking Bad’s Giancarlo Esposito, Supernatural’s Emily Swallow, Predator’s Carl Weathers, American Gods’ Omid Abtahi, Grizzly Man’s Werner Herzog, and Affliction’s Nick Nolte. Lion King director Jon Favreau is the series’ showrunner and Thor Ragnarok’s Taika Waititi, Jessica Jones’ Deborah Chow, and The Clone Wars Dave Filoni are all signed on to direct individual episodes. The series debuts on Disney+ on November 12.
During the D23 Disney+ panel, Kathleen Kennedy took the stage to talk about the upcoming Star Wars projects for Disney’s streaming service. Among the announcements was a release date for the seventh season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars–scheduled to come to Disney+ in February 2020. Sounds like it might be a perfect binge-watch for Valentine’s Day.
Picking up where Season 6 left off after The Clone Wars was canceled, Season 7 fills in the gaps between the Star Wars animated series and Revenge of the Sith. After The Clone Wars’ cancellation, several of the stories in that gap went on to be adapted into novels, such as Star Wars Ahsoka and Star Wars Dark Disciple. However, many were not, which is why so many fans of The Clone Wars were happy to see the show resurrected from the grave with a surprise renewal announcement during SDCC 2018.
Season 7 got a new trailer during SDCC this year, revealing the different plotlines that this final season of the show will cover. The main focus of Season 7 seems to be the Siege of Mandalore, one of the last major events in the Clone Wars before its end (according to its brief mention in the Ahsoka novel). Season 7 also covers the reaction to Ahsoka leaving the Jedi Order–both from her own, Anakin’s, and Obi-Wan’s perspectives–which addresses one of the biggest cliffhangers in The Clone Wars.
We’ll also see Experimental Unit Clone Force 99–a group of Clone Commandos nicknamed the “Bad Batch” for their mutated DNA that grant them the enhanced abilities that allow them to fight with unorthodox tactics and tech–as well as the return of Separatist Admiral Trench. Given the focus on the Siege of Mandalore and the end of the Clone Wars conflict, it’s likely this seventh season will also see Rex following up on Fives’ sacrifice and working with Clone Commando Gregor and Clone Commander Wolf to deactivate their brain control chips, the electronics in all clones’ brains that compel them to betray and kill their Jedi generals when activated.
Nintendo is notorious for maintaining higher prices on its platforms than Sony or Microsoft, but Switch owners are in luck, as the console actually has a ton of great game deals available in the US Eshop right now. With new consoles hitting the market–the upgraded Switch model with better battery life and its cheaper, handheld-only cousin, the Switch Lite–there’s no better time for Nintendo to showcase some of the best titles on the platform, and a few of them are must-owns at their current price.
For starters, there’s a big Capcom publisher sale going on now through August 29 at 9 AM PT / 12 PM ET with up to 75% off some games. Quite a few Mega Man titles are included, such as Mega Man 11 for $20 and the Mega Man X Legacy Collections for $12 each. If you haven’t played Okami HD yet, consider grabbing the remastered classic while it’s only $14. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy, the acclaimed courtroom adventure series, is down to $20.
As August comes to an end, it’s almost horror game season, and you can grab some true horror classics for much cheaper in the Eshop. Resident Evil games have all been marked down, so if you enjoyed the excellent Resident Evil 2 Remake released earlier this year, you can see where the series all began with Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0, and Resident Evil 4, all selling for $20 each. There’s also Resident Evil Revelations, set between the events of RE4 and RE5, and its sequel, Resident Evil Revelations 2, both of which are on sale for $14.
If you haven’t played Bastion or Transistor yet, you have to pick up the pair of critically acclaimed games from indie studio Supergiant. The action RPGs are on deep discount, with Bastion selling for $3 and Transistor selling for $4 in the Eshop. That’s a markdown from $15 and $20, respectively.
From Mortal Kombat 11 ($42) to Guacamelee ($7.49), there are plenty more worthwhile games on sale in the Eshop, and we’ve included more of our favorites below. For the full list of deals, check out the Nintendo Eshop.
Best Nintendo Switch Eshop deals
Bastion — $3 ($15)
Battle Chasers: Nightwar — $20 ($40)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night — $32 ($40)
Capcom Beat ‘Em Up Bundle — $12 ($20)
Devil May Cry — $15 ($20)
Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen — $22.49 ($30)
The Flame in the Flood – Complete Edition — $6 ($15)
The Gardens Between — $8 ($20)
Guacamelee – Super Turbo Championship Edition — $7.49 ($15)
Mega Man 11 — $20 ($30)
Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 & 2 — $10 each ($15 each)
Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 & 2 — $12 each ($20 each)
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate — $25 ($50)
Mortal Kombat 11 — $42 ($60)
Okami HD — $14 ($20)
Onimusha: Warlords — $12 ($20)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy — $20 ($30)
Resident Evil — $20 ($30)
Resident Evil 0 — $20 ($30)
Resident Evil 4 — $20 ($30)
Resident Evil Revelations — $14 ($20)
Resident Evil Revelations 2 — $14 ($20)
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection — $20 ($40)
With cross-save now implemented in Destiny 2 and allowing players to seamlessly move between PS4, Xbox One, and PC (provided they own the necessary content on each), it’s an exciting time for Guardians. But as always, regardless of whatever big events might be happening, Xur checks in each weekend to sell a randomized slate of Exotic items for Titans, Hunters, and Warlocks. Here’s where to find Xur this time around, what he’s selling, and what perks those items come equipped with. However, it’s important to note that, thanks to the aforementioned cross-save, PC and Xbox One players now have an avenue for acquiring Forsaken’s PS4-exclusive Exotic, Wavesplitter.
Where Is Xur?
As of August 23, Xur is located on Nessus. To reach him, simply spawn at the Watcher’s Grave landing zone, hop on your sparrow, and head over toward Calus’s barge. Jump aboard and make your way to the back, where all of the Menagerie chests are. You’ll find Xur standing near the edge, ready to take your Legendary Shards.
What Is Xur Selling?
Xur has his standard slate, albeit with different items in the four key slots. He has an Exotic weapon–Arbalest–that is of little interest to anyone who already owns it. However, whereas there is no difference between each version of an individual Exotic weapon, there’s reason to investigate the armor more closely. Because armor features randomized rolls, you might find that what Xur is selling offers better perks than the version you might already own. At the very least, these perks might better align with your playstyle. Or, if you don’t already own these pieces, it’s an easy opportunity to fill out your collection. Beyond the items, Xur also has the Five of Swords challenge card (to modify Nightfall difficulty) and an Invitation of the Nine (which provides you with some objectives and leads to a bit of new story content). And, as noted above, PC and Xbox One players can jump on PS4 and potentially get Wavesplitter from the Fated Engram.
Xur Item Lineup (August 23-27)
Arbalest (Exotic Linear Fusion Rifle) — 29 Legendary Shards
Crown of Tempests (Exotic Warlock Helmet) — 23 Legendary Shards
Ashen Wake (Exotic Titan Gauntlets) — 23 Legendary Shards
Arbalest
Arbalest is a linear fusion rifle which, on the surface, doesn’t sound particularly notable. But what’s unique about it is that this is a kinetic weapon, meaning it goes in your primary weapon slot. It’s particularly effective against shields, and destroying a shield with it causes the enemy to take more damage from kinetic weapons. Plus, again: It’s a linear fusion rifle that goes in your kinetic slot, and it’s quite useful for invading in Gambit. Pick it up if you don’t own it.
Hunters can pick up Shinobu’s Wake. It features New Tricks, which improves the Skip Grenade and gives you an extra charge with it. Dealing damage with a Skip Grenade also returns energy for it, letting you keep the grenades flying. It might be of use right now if you’re trying to grind out grenade kills for Solstice of Heroes, which ends soon.
Rolls:
Slot 1: Submachine Gun Loader, Fastball, Momentum Transfer
Slot 2: Grenade Launcher Scavenger, Special Ammo Finder
Ashen Wake
Titans get Ashen Wake, a set of gauntlets that, like Shinobu’s Vow, is primarily concerned with improving a specific type of grenade. Bring the Heat causes Fusion Grenades to explode on impact, and you can throw them more quickly. It’s another item that isn’t terribly thrilling.
Rolls:
Slot 1: Linear Fusion Rifle Loader, Submachine Gun Loader, Momentum Transfer